Stanley/Stella ranked industry leader in sustainable materials sourcing by Textile Exchange

Stanley/Stella has been ranked in the top 16 leading brands in the world for sustainable material sourcing by the Textile Exchange, in its Material Change Index, released on Thursday, January 23.

This ranking, which places the Belgian apparel company alongside major fashion and textile industry leaders such as Nike and H&M, underlines how committed Stanley/Stella is to driving positive change in the textile industry.

From the beginning Stanley/Stella’s mission has been to produce premium contemporary garments in a more responsible and ethical way, with the respect for the planet and its people. From day one the company chose not to use conventional cotton but only to work with organic cotton in its range of T shirts and sweatshirts.

Today, 95% of the company’s production uses Global Organic Textile Standard certified cotton. GOTS is a stringent certification body that guarantees traceability of cotton from the field to finished garment. For the remaining 5% of the collection, Stanley/Stella uses natural materials such as Tencel, Modal and linen, and recycled polyester.

These responsible choices result in a positive impact on the planet and its people, notably:

  • The avoidance of pesticides, insecticides and chemical fertilisers, which leads to cleaner and healthier soil, water, flora and fauna.
  • The health of cotton farmers and their communities is respected and protected.
  • The promotion of crop rotation and biodiversity.
  • A reduction in its water footprint as organic cotton farming methods drastically reduce water consumption.

The Textile Exchange’s Material Exchange Index is the largest peer-to-peer comparison initiative in the textile industry. It tracks the apparel, footwear and home textile sector’s progress toward more sustainable materials sourcing, as well as alignment with global efforts like Sustainable Development Goals and the transition to a circular economy.

Check Also

GS UK announces winner of P&P LIVE! prize draw

GS UK is pleased to announce the winners of its prize draw competition that was …

Craghoppers ambassador completes walk across the Sahara Desert

Alice Morrison, a Craghoppers ambassador, BBC presenter and writer has just completed a 2,000km walk …