In July Gildan released the 2014 update of the company’s corporate social responsibility (CSR) website (www.genuinegildan.com).
This update reveals the company’s CSR achievements for 2014 and its progress for each one of the targets previously set.
Throughout 2014, Gildan continued to develop and implement industry-leading practices with respect to working conditions, environmental footprint, community support and responsibly-made product offerings.
President and chief executive officer, Glenn Chamandy, said: “Gildan’s CSR programs and initiatives are central to the Company’s overall business strategy.
“We remain committed to investing in our vertical integration and the implementation of best-in-class practices across the whole organization. Our growth and continued success rely upon driving continuous improvements in our operations and empowering our employees.”
- During 2014 Gildan created over 8,000 jobs to support its growth strategy, with more than one million man-hours of training provided to employees.
- Gildan’s fully equipped medical clinics provided more than 87,000 instances of medical attention free of charge to employees within its manufacturing facilities.
- In 2014, a total of 244 internal and external audits were performed at the company’s owned facilities and at third-party contractor facilities, in support of Gildan’s commitment to the highest standards of labour practices and working conditions.
- In 2014, 53% of Gildan’s total energy was powered by renewable sources.
- More than 90% of the waste from its operations were repurposed or recycled during 2014.
- Last year Gildan achieved a 45% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions intensity, which surpassed the 20% reduction target set.
The full report can be read by visiting www.genuinegildan.com