England entered Step 4 of Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s roadmap out of lockdown this morning.
This means that nearly all legal restrictions surrounding social distancing have been removed.
The changes are as follows:
- Face masks are now voluntary, however the government is still advising people to wear them in crowded spaces such as on public transport.
- All businesses that had been closed can now open, including nightclubs, with no limits on capacity.
- There is no longer the requirement to scan a QR code when entering venues.
- From August 16, those who have been fully vaccinated will no longer have to self-isolate when they come into close contact with COVID-19. The only caveat is that they must allow two weeks from the date of the second jab before exemption. If someone tests positive they will still need to self-isolate.
- The work from home requirement has been dropped, with businesses advised to have workers return gradually over the summer.
- From August 16, the school bubble system will be scrapped.
Lockdown rules and restrictions differ in Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland.